The child had a cold, was coughing and suddenly began to choke. What to do in this situation, and what you can do to ensure this doesn’t happen again?
Laryngospasm is a condition in which the glottis closes and cuts off all the access air.
This happens with young children, in connection with the characteristics of the structure of the larynx and glottis. Spasm occurs as a result of local inflammation, the accumulation of viscous mucus and swelling, and is often a consequence of laryngitis. Laryngospasm can also occur reflexivelywhen the inhalation aerosol is too cold air, chemicals, nervous tension and fear, a strong scream.
See also:LARYNGITIS in CHILDREN
The classic symptom of croup is a barking cough, and ringing it dry, unlike the usual and easily recognizable.
What to do in case of laryngospasm in a child
If the child began coughing so contact as soon as possible for help to the doctor: now laryngospasm can develop at any time.
- Just before the spasm of the larynx, the child’s voice becomes husky and quiet, or suddenly disappears.
- Then the breathing becomes noisy, the air rushing passes through the glottis, the child begins to choke, changing the color of the face.
- Now it’s important to act quickly and try to calm the child, since fear only exacerbates the condition.
Laryngospasm in a child of five
- In any case, just need to call an ambulance, but leave the child alone impossible.
- Be sure to take the kid on hands, try somehow to distract him. It is very important that the child is able to calm down, then cope with the spasm will be much easier.
- If you have the inhaler immediately put the mask on your face. In the inhaler you can pour plain water, if you long to look for drugs, and it is better to make a solution of soda, add aminophylline. If there is no inhaler, include the full capacity of the humidifier and bring the child face to the cloud of cold vapor. In total, resolved, and warm vapor, for example, in the bathroom can include a shower. But don’t put the child in hot water and do not let breathe hot steam from the kettle: you can’t know the nature of a spasm, and if the predominant tissue swelling he will grow from hot steam.
- Open the window, bring the child to the balcony let him breathe fresh cool air. Ideally, if the street was the rain. Ventilate the baby’s room before bedtime.
- If there is no effect of finger pressure on the tongue of the child: it may reflex to remove the spasm.
- Or spazmalgon Baralgin will help to relieve spasm of the larynx, if fresh and humid air was not enough. It is better to have the medication in the vials, but it is important to be able to use it. If you managed to remove the spasm by the inhalation, offer the child a warm drink and give to drink a quarter of a pill Spasmalgon or Baralgin. So you will accelerate relaxation of the muscles in the throat and prevent re-croup.
- You can give an antihistamine. It would help if the main component is spasm, edema (of course, to bring it home will not work). You may suspect infectious-allergic nature of laryngospasm, if the background of laryngitis child reacted to dust, washing powder, pungent odor.
When a child is sick, then the whole apartment should be ventilated several times a day. Don’t heat the air a fireplace in the winter, so you have it dried, and child health risks.
Use a humidifier, place it close to the bed of the child. To humidify the air you need and during illness and in times of health. So, you will eliminate dryness of the mucous membranes and the formation of viscous mucus.
Give your child plenty of fluids, and during illness more than usual. It could just be water, juice, tea, decoctions and infusions of herbs that loves the child. Drinking at this time is more important than food.
During the SARS use an inhaler daily.
- LOSS OF VOICE (APHONIA)
- burns in children: first aid